Monday, January 12, 2009

Sucks and Supers About ABQ

Time for another review of our new city. Don't you all love these? Let's start with my newest contender for What Sucks the Most About ABQ. As you all know, at one point it was the lack of a Sephora store that was in first place, but that was quickly remedied. Since then I have been toying with several candidates for the Suckiest part of ABQ, and I think I have hit upon a very good one. It's the food. Not that the food itself is bad, oh no- it's that it is too freakin' hot for me to eat! People like it super-spicy here and smother everything in green or red chile, or both, and happily gulp it down. I thought that a few months of training and practicing would get my taste buds used to be ignited every time a took a bite, yet I have found that I can not handle the inferno. Which leaves me rather sad when we go out to eat and I see things like green chile enchiladas or breakfast burritos with chopped chile and cheese in them. I know that if I do get them, after two bites I will regret it, and after three I will be frantically looking for an ambulance because surely all of the skin on my tongue has been burned off. Then I don't eat my food and look dejectedly at my almost full plate, wishing I had stuck with something safe.

Another suck? Sundays. I like Sunday a lot, especially now that Nate is working 6 days a week. Sunday is one day when we get to be together and I can go do some shopping. But there is this little niggling law here that bugs- no alcohol sales before noon on Sunday. What's the big deal, you ask? Well, I usually go grocery shopping on Sunday morning while lots Querquians are in church, and I can't pick up a bottle of wine for dinner while I am there. And lots of other stores are not open on Sundays either. Evidently a few people in this town take the Sabbath seriously.

On to a Super! The weather here is fantastic. It is not bitterly cold here in the winter, but cold enough to merit sweaters and jeans all day, coats and scarves at night. The sky is gorgeous, the stars amazing, and the occasional snow flurry is a treat. I love the scenery and the clean air and the mountains, it makes me glad to live here.

No comments: