Saturday, January 3, 2009

Laying on the Carpet

Okay, here's the thing. Time at home without kids in the house is rare. Really rare. Like, once in a blue moon but even more rare than that rare. And whenever anyone asks me what I would do if I had time in my own house, all by myself, I always respond that I would lay on the carpet. Sound weird? Hear me out, you'll understand.

As a mom, I am constantly under scrutiny and surveillance by my kids. They always know what I am doing, where I am doing it, and why, and if they don't, they ask. And ask. And ask. If I were to lay on the carpet, for example, I would instantly get pummeled both verbally, with questions, and literally, with little bodies jumping on the new mommy play equipment. So I do not lay on the carpet when kids are home, but you can bet your last dollar that I do when I get a moment in the house by myself! It's symbolic, and a signal to my mind and body that I am officially "off duty" and can relax.

Today Nate took all the kids out for the day. They went to the zoo, to lunch, to the local indoor jumping place, and about town for the entire day. As soon as they left, I promptly sprawled out on the carpet in the front room and stared at the ceiling. I took slow, deep breaths, I listened to the quiet, and I felt the stress melt out of my body and into the ground. It was heavenly. Then I got up and did the dishes, took down the Christmas decorations, sold a puppy (woot!), cleaned the garage, read my book, painted my nails, and did laundry. It was a blissful, stress-free day, and when my family came back home this evening, I was recharged and happy to see all of them.

I may make this a regular appointment, at least as regular as I can talk Nate into doing it. His day was decidedly less relaxing than mine. Gee, how could that possibly be the case? Oh, right- he was in charge of all four kids.

1 comment:

~Dinah said...

This is so important to being an even better mommy!! It is good to charish time alone and to recharge.