Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Popcorn Revelation

Alright, so I am a dork. I love me some popcorn, but not nearly as much as M does. She wants to eat it every single day, and loves it plain, with salt, with butter, with herbs, whatever. She doesn't care, as long as she gets to eat popcorn. And since popcorn is a whole grain and by itself rather healthy, why not? My air popper has been getting a lot of use over the past two months, and although it is fairly easy to use I still hate dragging it out every time I need to make popcorn.

Several years ago I saw a Good Eats episode where Alton Brown said you could make popcorn in the microwave using a paper bag and a staple. Well, I was too chicken to try it. Then my favorite food blog had a feature about microwave popcorn, and she did not use a staple. Woohoo! My fears of microwaving popcorn we now null and void. I bought some paper bags, dumped in some popcorn and a bit of olive oil and salt in one, popped it in the microwave, and voila- it was perfect.

So why does this make me a dork? Because for YEARS I could have been making popcorn like this and saving myself a lot of trouble. And before I knew about the evils of commercial microwave popcorn, we used to eat that stuff. And this was so easy, so fast, and really, really tasty that I foresee us eating a lot more popcorn in the future. I may even make some to string on the tree this year. Well, without the salt and olive oil, of course. It will be hard enough for M to not eat the popcorn on the tree, why tempt her even more?

3 comments:

~Dinah said...

Well I did not know this!!! I'm so excited and can't wait to try it! :)

Anonymous said...

Nicole,

I didn't know about this either. So cool!

Lisa

princessbride said...

This sounds way cool! I will have to try this. Esp since I hate buying theater popcorn and would rather sneak my own in.