Sunday, August 24, 2008

A Pattern Emerges

It is Sunday morning, and I have fallen into a routine. Get up early (today it was 5:30am), get ready for the day and head out to Starbucks. Count the hot air balloons as I drive down the empty streets (11 balloons this morning), and cruise into Starbucks for a chai and a Sunday ABQ Journal. Back home I leisurely flip through the paper and sip my chai, readying myself for the day.

This sounds so relaxing and wonderful, doesn't it? It is, as long as I engage my selective hearing. With 4 kids, two of which are very early risers, there isn't much quiet even in the early morning hours. M and G both want food and attention, the tv is blaring and not getting any attention, and the older ones are bossing around the younger ones. I sit at the kitchen table, an island of calm (I wish) in the center of a raging sea of childhood antics. Sip, turn the page, sip, read. Repeat. After about 30 minutes, my selective hearing quits and I fold up the paper, put down my empty cup, and go back to the craziness of life as a mother of four.

After a month of disordered living, it is nice to see some regularity come into my schedule, even if it is only Sunday morning. That's a start, right? Each day gets closer to a level of normality and repetition for our lives here, and with it comes an increased sense of being at home. Our new lives are taking shape inside our new house, and it is good.

1 comment:

princessbride said...

A starbucks in the morning would be nice.I have to settle for Folgers Instant. Next week when school starts up again I'll be hitting Panera. Want me to buy a dozen bagels and ship them to you?