Tuesday, August 12, 2008

First Days of School

Yesterday was M's first day of school at her new preschool. She was so excited to go and could not wait to get back into a classroom. When I dropped her off, she said goodbye and ran right in the door, no nervousness or trepidation at all. Upon picking her up, the teacher said she did just fine and also commented that M really, really likes to talk. Really likes it. No surprise there!

Today is E's first day of school. She, being 8, is much more nervous about it than the 3yo was. You've got to love little kids- they can feel at home anywhere. E, on the other hand, is nervous to the point of almost being scared. I feel so bad for her, and also understand perfectly. I vividly remember starting 8th grade in CA after moving from Ohio, and I was petrified. It all worked out, but it was rough going for a few weeks. I hope E can make the adjustment faster than I did.

In other news, things are going swimmingly here. I am painting (still) and working on getting the house livable. We finally got Direct TV last night, and can finally watch something other than Barbie movies. The dogs got loose while the installer was here, and the people that caught them were able to track us down on the Internet using only one of the dogs' first name and our old phone number. Kinda freaky how easy people can find you, even if they have no idea who you are. They were incredibly nice people, and fell in love with my goofball dogs.

Over the weekend I bought a new bike so I can join in bike rides with the kids around the neighborhood. I have not been on a bike with any regularity since I was a young teenager, and it felt rather strange to climb on one now. E and I went out for a ride last evening, and after ten minutes I was DONE. We live at the top of a hill of sorts, so riding away from the house is easy. Riding back is where the hard work comes in, and when you add in the fact that I am not only out of shape but also overweight AND riding at high altitude (we are around 5500ft high here), and it was sort of pathetic, in a funny way. Needless to say, I will be going on more rides and trying to get back in shape so I can enjoy the area more.

No comments: