Thursday, September 25, 2008

Oh No You Didn't

Shortly after E started school, she brought a letter home from the school nurse stating that she needed to get the varicella vaccine. The deadline for getting it was September 19th, so I promptly got on the phone to schedule her an appointment with a pediatrician. Much to my shock, though, I could not find a pediatrician that could see her before November, much less by the 19th. So I had to call the Public Health Department and get an appointment with them, which was still not until the 25th (today.) I went into E's school and spoke with the nurse, and they said it would be fine to be a few days late.

Last week we got another letter from the nurse stating that she must bring in her proof of vaccination by the 26th or she would not be able to return to school. Who knew NM was so anal about this sort of thing?!

Anyhow, fast forward to today. I took both kids out of school to go (I figured if E needed the shot so did O), and spent a long time in an empty waiting room at the Health Department. M and G were their usual ornery selves, so by the time we were called in I was a bit of a mess. Except- we weren't called in. The nurse came out to tell me that E did not need a varicella shot, that she had already had one. Duh, I knew that, but the school nurse said she needed another one. Turns out she didn't, so after 2 hours of wasted time we returned to E's school for me to talk with the nurse there.

I came prepared with the official vaccination requirements for the State of New Mexico to show the school nurse in the hope that they would not try and tell me again that she needed another shot. The school nurse pulled up E's file, and said, "Oops- looks like we didn't enter her varicella vaccination. Sorry about that, she is all clear."

Um, right? You managed to hand write two notices for her to bring home, but couldn't manage to properly enter her vaccination records into the computer?

Riiiiight.

No comments: