Friday, September 5, 2008

I'm Scared

I went to the MVD Express today to finish getting my new registration on our van. Sadly, I had to go with the dorky hot air balloon license plate, since the MVD Express is a licensed outside contractor that provides motor vehicle services for the real department of motor vehicles, along with a convenience fee for people like me that go there. (I must admit, it is a brilliant idea- no long lines, no waiting weeks for appts, no rude people, it's awesome and worth every penny of additional cost!) I am now an official resident of the state, complete with driver's license and vehicle registration.

That, however, is not what I am scared of. Here's what got me going today- while getting my papers processed, a woman next to me was getting her driver's license renewed. Part of the procedure is a general eye exam to make sure you can read road signs and not kill the crazy people crossing the street in front of oncoming traffic. So this lady is taking the eye exam, and she keeps getting a lot of the letters wrong. The clerk asks her if she wears glasses, and the woman says yes but only for reading, otherwise her vision is fine. The clerk asks her to try again with a new batch of letters, and again, and again, until finally she says, "Close enough, I think you'll be fine."

WTH?

And THEN, as if this weren't enough, she gives the lady the option of a 4 year license or an 8 year, and the lady takes the 8 year! I wonder how bad her vision will be by the time those 8 years are halfway over? And to think she is out there sharing the road with thousands, and trying to navigate the psycho frontage road system and dodge insane pedestrians. My heart has palpitations just thinking about it.

Come on, people, it should be mandatory to Think and Drive!!!!

No comments: