Sunday, September 21, 2008

I Love Sundays!

This morning we decided to celebrate the imminent arrival of Fall with a special breakfast. I got up early and started pumpkin pancakes and bacon, plus oatmeal for Nate the Vegan. Nate took O to Starbucks for a Sunday paper, coffee, milks for the kids, and chai (extra pump, please) for me. I tried out a new recipe for pumpkin pancakes and it was fantastic- thick pancakes yet light and fluffy with that perfect combination of spices and pumpkin-y goodness. I made the bacon in the oven, which is the second-best way to make bacon (the absolute best is on the George Foreman grill, but the cleanup is a pain in the patookis). Then we all sat down to enjoy breakfast together before starting our day.

I have to say this whole eating-together-at-the-table thing is awesome. We eat dinner together 7 nights a week, and then add in at least one breakfast or lunch on the weekend. The time our family spends gathered around the table has become my favorite part of our move. What I took for granted as a child, meals done family style, is now a cherished part of my life as a mother. I have a new appreciation for all my mom did in making meals for us and getting us to the table at the same time. So thanks, Mom, for laying such firm groundwork for me to build on with my own family.

No comments: