Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Saying Goodbye

It's only 6 days away from the move, and we have already had to say goodbye to our friends. No matter that our reasons for moving are all positive ones, it still hurts to leave the people we love behind. The kids have been saying goodbye to their friends through various activities- a trip to Splash, sleepovers, swimming, and letters. Due to their young ages, though, the goodbyes are less painful and more casual than that of their parents. Or should I say, their mother.

It's been hard for me to say goodbye to my friends. I have been extraordinarily blessed with a large group of friends that I have met through La Leche League, and the empty spaces in my life and heart will be hard to fill in ABQ. My good friend M took me out to dinner on Sunday, only to surprise me with a gathering of amazing women that I have had the good fortune to call my friends. It was bittersweet, and as I left the restaurant a hollowness crept in while I contemplated leaving them all.

Then yesterday the kids and I visited my heart-sister N and her adorable children, and spent the day enjoying swimming and each other's company. When it was time to say goodbye the tears started flowing, and they are still here, shimmering behind my eyes and waiting for a calm moment to slip out. But with the move so close, calm moments are no where to be found.

3 comments:

Julie said...

Hooray! I am the first to post on your blog! I'm so glad you started one :-) I'm going to miss you terribly but am looking forward to the fun of staying in touch!

michelle said...

Darn! Julie beat me to the first comment ;) We will miss you but are so happy for your awesome opportunity!! Keep up your blog so I can read all about the Erikson's Adventures :)

princessbride said...

Can I just say I am so happy you are doing this blog! Yay!
And as for the Grand Canyon, that is a trip we do every summer so just let me know! Usually it's in Aug.